The new IGP who until his appointment was the Deputy Inspector General of Police is to act in that capacity until a substantive Inspector General of Police is appointed.
But who is Mr James Oppong-Boanuh? We have compiled 8 things you didn’t know about the new head of the Police Service.
- He was born in 1958 at Aboabo No.1 in the Dormaa District in the then Brong Ahafo Region of Ghana.
2. He obtained his GCE Ordinary and Advanced Levels at the Dormaa Secondary School, Dormaa Ahenkro (1977, 1979).
3. He is an alumnus of the University of Ghana and the Ghana School of Law. He was called to the Bar and enrolled as a member of the Ghana Bar Association in 1984. COP Oppong Boanuh also holds a Masters in Human Rights from the University of Education, Winneba (2015) and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Law and Political Science from the University of Ghana, Legon (1982).
4. He is a Christian and he is married with three kids
5. He joined the Ghana Police Service in 1988 after having worked for two years as the Legal Officer at the Legal Department of the Agricultural Development Bank in Accra.
6. He has held several command and staff positions including Chief Staff Officer to the Inspector-General of Police (1990-1996); Director-General/Welfare, Director-General/Human Resources; Regional Commander, Director-General/Legal and Prosecutions and Deputy IGP.
7. In October 2018, he was granted a one-year contract service as Deputy Director-General of the Police effective October 8, 2018, to October 7, 2019, by President Akufo-Addo.
8. Internationally, he has worked in the United Nations Mission in Mozambique (ONUMOZ) and with the United Nations Transitional Authority in East Timor (UNTAET), Deputy Commissioner of Police of the African Union Mission in Sudan (AMIS) and acting Police Commissioner and head of the Police component of AMIS.
GOT AN EXCLUSIVE INFO?........SEND IT TO US
Call our Editor on 0209391902 or click here and inform us via Whatsapp. You could equally email your stories or articles to email@example.com and we'll surely put them online