An earth tremor has hit some parts of Accra this evening around 10:36 pm, GhanaXtra.com can report.
Areas that have been hit include McCarthy Hill, Gbawe, McCarthy Hill, and Tantra Hills, Osu, Ablekuma Manhean, Kaneshie, Achimota, Adenta, Circle, Kokomlemle, Accra New Town, Legon, Dansoman, Kasoa, Haatso, Kwashiman, Teshie, and Nungua
Meanwhile, this portal can report that areas such as Nsawam, Koforidua, and Swedru were also hit by the tremor.
Below are some basic tips to follow during an earth tremor
- Take some time to discuss evacuation with your family. Sketch a floor plan of your home; walk through each room and discuss evacuation details.
- Plan a second way to exit each room or area. If special equipment is needed, mark where it is located.
- Mark where your emergency food, water, first aid kits, and fire extinguishers are located.
- Store a type-ABC fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location.
- Mark where the utility switches or valves are located, and learn how to turn off your gas and water mains, as well as electricity.
- Indicate the location of your family’s emergency outdoor meeting place.
- Keep several flashlights in easily accessible places around the house.
- Keep a wrench or turn-off tool in waterproof wrap near the gas meter.
- Know whether you live, work or play in a tsunami hazard zone.
- Obtain a NOAA Weather Radio with the Public Alert feature to notify you of tsunamis and other hazards.
- Keep a flashlight, slippers and gloves next to beds.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Determine safe spaces away from windows in each room of your home. Choose spots where it is unlikely something will fall on you.
- Prepare a disaster kit. Stock up on canned food, a first-aid kit, 3 gallons of water per person, dust masks, goggles, battery-operated radio and flashlights.